Safe additives for composting – with a competitive edge thanks to our certification.
Many of the increasingly popular products made from compostable materials require additives such as processing agents, printing inks, color batches, adhesives and more. Biodegradable additives are therefore also required for a harmless composting process.
Appropriate certification from DIN CERTCO ensures that manufacturers of compostable products can have full confidence in their additives. Take advantage of this competitive edge and have your biodegradable additives certified by us now!
Get your individual quote for certification.
Our Test Mark Proves the Safety of Your Additives
The DIN CERTCO certification program "Additives according to DIN EN 13432" offers manufacturers of additives the possibility to prove the safety of their products for the composting process in their value and supply chain. The corresponding test mark is an important asset for your market access and for gaining additional customers and business partners. Create maximum trust and transparency with us as your partner.
Furthermore, you gain an important sales argument with our certification: If your additives are certified according to DIN EN 13432, the manufacturers of final products can dispense with possible further test procedures.
Tests According to International Standards and for Many Product Groups
In the certification process, we distinguish between different types of additives:
- Water- and/or solvent-based printing inks
- Inorganic pigments
- Organic dyes
- (Color) master batches based on biodegradable materials
- Biodegradable additives
The testing process takes into account the following tests, depending on the standard and the nature and composition of the additives:
- Chemical characterization
- Test for complete biodegradability in laboratory tests
- Plant compatibility
- Earthworm toxicity test
- Nitrification test
- IR transmission spectrum
The central standard for the certification of your biodegradable additives is DIN EN 13432. Depending on your individual requirements, we also test and certify according to one of the following standards:
- ASTM D 6400 "Standard Specification of Labeling of Plastics Designed to be Aerobically Composted in Municipal or Industrial Facilities"
- ASTM D 6868 "Standard Specification for Labeling of End Items that Incorporate Plastics and Polymers as Coatings or Additives with Paper and Other Substrates Designed to be Aerobically Composted in Municipal or Industrial Facilities"
- DIN EN 14995 "Plastics - Evaluation of Compostability - Test Scheme and Specifications"
- ISO 17088 "Specification for Compostable Plastics"
- ISO 18606 "Packaging and Environment - Organic recycling"
- AS 4736 "Biodegradable Plastics - Biodegradable Plastics suitable for Composting and other Microbial Treatment"
- AS 5810 "Biodegradable plastics — Biodegradable plastics suitable for home composting"
- NF T 51-800 "Plastics - Specifications for plastics suitable for home composting"
- DIN EN 17033 "Plastics - Biodegradable mulch films for use in agriculture and horticulture - Requirements and test methods"
- ISO 23517 "Plastics - Soil biodegradable materials for mulch films for use in agriculture and horticulture - Requirements and test methods regarding biodegradation, ecotoxicity and control of constituents"
In any case, you can prove the safety of your products for the composting process with our "DIN Tested Additives EN 13432" mark.
The certificate you receive after a positive assessment result is valid for five years. Through annual monitoring, we ensure that the high quality characteristics are maintained even after initial certification. All certificate holders are listed in the public DIN CERTCO database, which can be accessed free at any time on our homepage – this creates maximum transparency for your business partners.
DIN CERTCO: The Only Accredited Certification Body for Environmental Certification at EU Level
Within the TÜV Rheinland Group, we provide the experts for sustainable materials and are the only accredited certification body for these environmental certifications at EU level. In doing so, we bring more than 30 years of experience and expertise as well as a globally established network of testing laboratories and experts. With us, you have an experienced and independent partner for the certification of your biodegradable additives at your side. Make it easier for your customers in all world markets to decide in favor of your products and rely on our certification.
We´re looking forward to your message
DIN CERTCO Gesellschaft für Konformitätsbewertung mbH