Additives according to DIN EN 13432
Demand is continuing to increase for both compostable materials (e.g. food packaging or waste bags), but also for harmless additives, such as printing inks, master-batches, lubricants or other biodegradable additives. DIN CERTCO offer certification services for all of these products.
Confidence is Good – DIN-Geprüft is better!
With the recognized and neutral certification mark "DIN-Geprüft" (= Tested), DIN CERTCO offers the manufacturer an opportunity to clearly identify their products as harmlessness to the composting process.
Basis of Testing
The certification scheme “Additive according to DIN EN 13432” gives additive manufacturers the opportunity to prove that their products are harmless for the composting process.
Alongside DIN EN 13432, certification can also be carried out according to one of the following standards
- ASTM D 6400"Standard Specification of Labeling of Plastics Designed to be Aerobically Composted in Municipal or Industrial Facilities"
- DIN EN 14995"Plastics - Evaluation of Compostability - Test Scheme and Specifications"
- ISO 17088"Specification for Compostable Plastics"
- ISO 18606"Packaging and Environment - Organic recycling"
- AS 4736 "Biodegradable Plastics - Biodegradable Plastics suitable for Composting and other Microbial Treatment"
- AS 5810"Biodegradable plastics — Biodegradable plastics suitable for home composting"
The following tests may be necessary, depending on the nature and composition of the additives:
- Chemical testing
- Laboratory testing on full biodegradability
- Plant toxicity test
- if applicable earth worm toxicity test
A distinction is made between the following types of additive:
- Water and/or solvent-based printing inks
- Inorganic pigments
- Organic pigments
- (Colour) master batches based on biodegradable materials
- Biodegradable additives
Testing and Assessment
Only those additives get the DIN-Geprüft mark which provide the conformity with the standards by a successful passing of a test in a testing laboratory recognized by DIN CERTCO and subsequent neutral assessment.
After a positive assessment result DIN CERTCO issues a certificate which is valid for five years. Annual monitoring ensures that high quality requirements are still complied with even after the initial certification has been granted.
All licensees are listed on our website at "Certificate Holder".
What kind of additives does this certification scheme address?
Included in this certification scheme are printing inks, inorganic pigments, organic dyes, master batches and other biodegradable additives (e.g. glues, coatings, processing aids)
What are the advantages of certification in the area of additives?
Certification helps to build trust. A neutral and transparent quality mark enables clear labelling and confirms the harmlessness of an additive for the composting process.
What are the fees for a certification?
According to our schedule of fees the fees of a “simple” certification are the same for all applicants. The schedule of fees can be found on this site under the rider “Documents”. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
What is the period of validity for a certificate?
The certificate is valid for 5 years.
What kind of tests are required?
The following tests can be applied to prove the additives’ biological harmlessness and sufficient biodegradability:
- Chemical test on heavy metal and halogen content
- Laboratory testing of total biodegradability
- Ecotoxicological tests on plant or earth worm toxicity
- An infrared transmission spectrum
The exact scope of testing depends on the composition of the additive and on the requested standards for certification.
- Display all